Tuesday, December 20, 2005

another book, another movie

I just started yesterday reading Memoirs of a Geisha, only to realise today that a movie is coming soon in cinemas. It is always interesting to read a story first, visualise it, then see it featured as a movie through someone else's perspective. But I wonder if it's always the case that your own vision is better than any other. Does it depend on the kind of story? I mean, if it's the kind of story like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter (which I haven't read nor watched the movies and don't intend to either) maybe the movies would be more interesting and imaginative than what you think of while reading. But if it's a normal story, with no weird creatures or magical settings, I think it's different. I remember the shock I had when I first watched the movie of the famous love story "Eny Rahela" (I'm leaving) by the great Egyptian novelist Youssef AlSeba'y which was totally below my expectations I formed after I had started reading the book one night and could not stop until 8 am the next day. Maybe in some cases it's better to watch the movie first then read the book?! Anyway, I better finish reading this story fast so I can catch the movie in time.

Mai

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home